According to the National Trading Standards Scams Team, the average age of scam victims is 74.
Scams are massively underreported. Roughly one in 20 people fall victim to scams every year, but fewer than five per cent of them report their experience.
Tips for spotting a potential scam:
- Unexpected phone calls, letters and emails
- Being asked to send money to claim a prize
- Being told of winnings when a competition wasn’t entered
- Too good to be true offers
- Pressure selling
- Uninvited door step callers
- Being asked share your personal details
If you suspect a scam you can report it to the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06 or
Action Fraud on 0300 123 20 40.
[+ go back...]
Further information about scams is available from Trading Standards by calling 0300 126 1000.